Google AdSense

Google Adsense

Custom Search

Saturday, October 31, 2009

American Culture Exchange


Essential components needed for exchanging your culture to a group that comes from another culture are confidence, a broad view, enthusiasum and the ability to make light of the situation.

As a group of hard working Americans and even one South African put our best foot forward to explain the meaning of Halloween to a group of Asian, Middle Eastern and European language learners, I wondered if the older students would think that our festivities were lame or that some would not be able to connect. I was pleased as the younger students really enjoyed their first Halloween experience and pleasantly surprised to see older students in costume and even volunteering to be wrapped in toilet paper for the mummy activity.

Looking back at this time last year, when I was at a local municipality where the high school attitude of ignoring somebody because you simply don't like that person was taking place, fast forward to now, and I am pleased at my decision making process that has allowed me to be in the place I need to be despite the distance between where my wife and I life and the opportunity is located. Where there is a will, there's a way.

Today's picture is of me wearing a jinbei (men's summer kimono worn in Japan) and a samurai wig.

http://daniel-j-stone.blogspot.com
(C) 2009

No comments: